New to RA and this forum

More
3 months 5 days ago #2891 by Bumonomia
hey there people, I have been browsing this site for quite a good while now but now I decided to post. I am mostly interested in the RA (rheumatoid arthritis) and this is the reason why I started to post - because of my arthritis pain that I am getting in my hands. I also must mention here that I have also suffered from sciatica for the last 20 years now but that pain seem that it has taken a 'back seat' now to my current joint pain that I have in my hands. I am now in my mid 40s and I am having a very active lifestyle, however it doesn't seem to be enough to keep me away from getting those pains.

and so, I have found out that I am having RA just not so long ago. to be honest, I am not very sure what this means, however I am really hoping that I am going to get some information from other people here on this site. I mean, I want to talk to people who have it and I can gather more information. I did have done a google research, obviously, so I do know that this is an autoimmune disorder and from those many google searches that I have had they seem to point out like I have got some kind of a terrible disease but the thing is that my family and myself really do not feel that way. I mean, I just know that it might be if not doing anything or if doing something that aggravates it, but I just want to learn some ways how I can manage it and that's why I am now here and that's why I want to talk to other people about it and find out more.

so now, talking about my symptoms… my hands have been in pains (mostly in the mornings) for the last few months now. it does seem to get worse over some time as over the past 3 weeks now, I am waking up in the morning in pains and I am barely able to move them in the morning. for these pains, I must say, I have been self medicating with tramadols (the maximum daily dosage that I was using was 100 mg) however I do know that tramadols aren't made for RA and that is why I am now considering to stop using it anymore. plus to that, although I really do like the anti depressant side effect that it has, I still cannot use them because if I am using them after 10 am I found that I am not able to sleep well and that's why I should keep my intake before 10 am which leaves blank windows for the pain to kick in. and so, I am now torn on that side of things and I am searching for remedies right now which I was hoping that I would be able to find answers here.

I should say that I am mostly searching for non medicine therapies now and if someone could help me with this, it would be amazing. I am looking for exercises, vitamins, diets and so on and so forth, that is why I would be happy if someone can tell me such natural therapies for my problem. I would agree getting on meds, but I still think that natural is always better. as I said, I lead an very active lifestyle as I am an avid runner, swimmer and biker and I am finding my joints to be stiffening up more and more so I obviously don't really like it. my doctor did has put me on some medications, however none of them for the pains. as said, I do have tramadol which I am using and I keep on taking it further, however I would really love a lot not to need to use it every day and to feel normal every day without taking it either… as I said, I do like the anti depressant effects, but I do know that using medications isn't so safe, so I would rather stop using it once and forever, it is just the fact that I can't because if I do, the pains would take over me, and they already seem to do so.

plus to that I have to say that one more very interesting thing is that my husband it is an orthopedic surgeon. and yeah, by the way, I just have read a thread out there about big pharm and you cannot even imagine the money that those drug reps are paying in order to get the doctors on their side… honestly, I find this to be disgusting and I really think that it should be illegal. such people who are responsible for this, in my opinion, all should be put in jail. but who is going to listen to my opinion?

anyway, I want to say thank you very much in advance for all your replies and to all of you who would respond to my need. I can tell you that I am not posting so often, however to be honest, I really like to come here and to read information as I find it very supportive since I have my own pain problems and I am also having an severe alcoholic brother… that's why I can tell you people that this site is really improving me in the supportive way in both those problematic areas of my life.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 4 days ago #2892 by Melissa
OP, hello, there is a natural way which doesn't involve the intake of medicine but it is still not as 'traditional' as vitamins, exercises etc. the thing is that I just have received 'arthritis gloves' if you have not found them yet or you didn't know about them. they are very easily found as I have got them on ebay. you shouldn't have any problems finding them. well, basically, they are fingerless gloves that are worming and are compressing the hands well. these things require that you wear them either hours at a time and since you have to do stuff during the day, of course, you can't wear them like that, not always at least, that is why I am wearing mine while I am sleeping the right amount of 8 hours. this means that I put them on as soon as going to sleep and getting them off as soon as I wake up. but that's just the way I do it as I know of some people that are working in them (but of course, it depends on what kind of job you have) and that is why, you might look into them yourself a bit closer as I do think that they are worth it since you don't have to do anything else than just… wearing gloves. and so you can choose the time when to do it. I can tell you that I have had mine for only a week now but I am surely going to use them for much longer. gotta say that one of my hand is especially in a bad condition so I really have big hopes. you can read more about them by simply writing in google 'arthritis gloves' but anyway, my doctor has told me that those gloves are really good because they keep tendons from shortening. hope they would be helpful for both of us. in addition to that, you can wear those gloves and do whatever rest you wanted to do (like taking vitamins, meds, or whatever).

More
3 months 4 days ago #2893 by Boyter
hey there… I am very sorry that you have to deal with all of this. trust me, whenever I read of someone dealing with pains it makes me sad and that's very sad to read about your diagnosis, I really hope that you would be dealing with it as soon as possible and keep your arthritis at bay. in addition to that I can say… yeah… indeed, all of the information that you are being given can be very confusing and very worrying. but the fact that you started to search a condition on google and it seems that you've got into a really really serious condition that's normal… I mean, there are even jokes over the internet about this… something like: 'my headache is a little bit annoying, I am going to search this in google' *10 minutes later* 'I have brain cancer' :D LOL. you shouldn't be so worried, rheumatoid can be a bit scaring, and indeed a very bad condition if left untreated, but it won't kill you and hopefully it won't disable you.

anyway, I do know a bit about arthritis because I have had it in my knees and I've been dealing with it since I have been only a child and so, now I have had both of my knees replaced… but yeah, you are right, this is an autoimmune disease which means that having your joints replaced does not mean that it is going to stop the disease as the problem is deep inside of me and not in my joints or knees and that's why I can say that from my experience, it is going to attack any joint that it wants to so we're just going to hope and try our best to deal with the problem and we can do that… of course… by exercising and dieting… you, my friend, really sound like you are doing everything fine in the terms of exercising and dieting, but you've got to know and be prepared that it is going to slow you down and that is why you must try not to push yourself too much or you may cause damage to some other joints as well and that's, of course, not the best scenario if you would have pains nearly anywhere (or even in just multiple places) on joints on your body.

I should tell you that I did have had various and different pain killers and so on and so forth over the years and frankly here, from my experience, I am thinking that what kind of stuff is working the best way it just depends on the individual alone. also from what I have read in your post, you said that you have been prescribed something by your doctor which is not a pain killer so I would guess that you have been prescribed some type of immuno suppressants in order to keep the disease under control and I can tell you that this is very good as there are people who greatly benefit from them. at least, I one did benefit well from one… been put on Methotrexate by my doctor and I have been on it for the last 15 years or more so it does work well for me. not trying to hint that you must be placed on this medication as well as there is a variety of medications of immuno suppressants and only your doctor can know which might be the best for you. so there are different kinds of medications but they are also having different kinds of side effects and they can have some pretty strong ones which you might not be able to deal and then you are going to be placed on another one. but if you do find one which won't give you side effects or if they would be able to be tolerated then you would stay on that one since those meds to keep the disease under control as much as it is possible which means that you do not get so often the flare ups and they are not so severe. generally, slowing down the disease.

not sure if this is what you came here for and I am not sure if this is going to be helpful at all but I really tried and I will still try if you could say more or ask more. just come back here periodically with updates for us and let us know how you are managing with this situation. I am quite sure that there is going to be lots of people ready to answer any other questions that you might have.

and by the way…

anyway, I want to say thank you very much in advance for all your replies and to all of you who would respond to my need. I can tell you that I am not posting so often, however to be honest, I really like to come here and to read information as I find it very supportive since I have my own pain problems and I am also having an severe alcoholic brother… that's why I can tell you people that this site is really improving me in the supportive way in both those problematic areas of my life.

I'm so sorry about this… dealing with such an disease and in the same time wanting to try to help your brother must be tough. sending my prayers to you hoping that your brother is going to stop doing that as well as I hope that your disease would stop plaguing you.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds