Codeine is so good?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #2948 by Melody
Hi people. I must confess that before I have registered this site, I was absolutely clueless that Codeine was even a thing and now since I see that there are people interested in it and using it etc. etc. I have this question which would be: why do at all people want to use Codeine? I would really want to understand it better so I thought that I could get some help here. I must say that I do have some experience with it as I did have used it a few times for my extremely sore throats that I was having in my late teens. From as much as I can remember, it made me feel a little bit nauseous. And it has helped me with my pain for around 30% or so and to be honest, I do think that this is not that much of a relief… however, besides this, I have had absolutely no other effects at all. That was it. But I do know that exactly as anything else out there, it works differently for everyone. What I am trying to say is that there was my friend who was the same age as I am and has been taking the same dosage as I was but it worked differently for her as she would get all loopy and would fall asleep right in the train after I got off and miss her stop. LOL. This is strange to me but I would just like to understand this drug a bit better.

And so, if you could help me a bit, tell me please: how this thing is supposed to make you really feel? I mean… generally? And also, how much would you need to take to feel the way it is supposed to make you feel? Thank you in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #2949 by Crosswind
Well… there are some people who are also asking the same question about the tramadol too, but I guess you know how tramadol works. Anyway… that being said, I would recommend you to be careful with wording… the reason is that this last part you wrote:

And so, if you could help me a bit, tell me please: how this thing is supposed to make you really feel? I mean… generally? And also, how much would you need to take to feel the way it is supposed to make you feel? Thank you in advance!

Can almost be interpreted as a recreational question (and I guess you do know that recreational questions are banned).

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #2950 by Hegwood
Hey there OP, I really think that you made a mistake… what I try to say is: you should know (if you already do not) that there is not such kind of a pain killer that would ‘kill’ all sorts and kinds of pains. With that being said, you should know that there are pain killers specifically for pains on joints, for headaches, for back pains, stomach pains and so on and so forth. We all know that ibuprofen is a pain killer as well, but when you have a stomach pain you do not take ibuprofen. In short, to generalize this all, I think that you made a mistake by taking codeine when you have sore throat. It is obvious that codeine won’t help you with this. Or at least, I personally really do not think imagine codeine would provide much (if any) relief from a sore throat at all. What I try to say is that you have taken the wrong medication for your condition. Of course, if taken for such condition, codeine would seem to be useless, however this thing is amazingly working for other conditions.

I personally don’t take codeine on a regular basis, I only take it whenever the pain kicks in. so I take it sometimes in order to give me that little relief from the back pains. Also, I must say that I do not take a too high dose of it even though the back pains that I am getting are pretty ‘high’. They are severe. I do this because I don’t want to get addicted, because I don’t want my tolerance to increase and lastly because I’m not looking for a total relief (it would be amazing though, of course, however for achieving total relief I guess I would need to get high from so much codeine, something that I surely do not want to do). In short, it is not really taking the pain away completely (as I said, I would need a too high dose for achieving this) as my pain it is still there, however what I am achieving is that using it is making me able to get kind of ‘disconnected’ from the pains for a while which makes me able to get back to my work. Generally, I use codeine only to be able to function properly, after all, I guess, that’s what is designed for. And I do not take enough for it in order not to get those effects that you describe that your friend had. Plus, you should know that codeine is actually not killing any kind of pains. The pains are always there, it is just ‘hiding’ those pains. Having all of that said, I am only using a minimum dosage of it in order to make my brain stop bitching continuously about my body and pains I get.

Anyway, I must say here… as somebody who has lived with the back pains for more than 3 years now, I must say that I one do find it pretty important to take the ‘pain breaks’ sometimes and so I really recommend doing it. However, I must tell you (much like warn you) that codeine, in fact, it is horribly addictive and so I am trying to be as careful as it is possible on not to get addicted on it and to stay as far as I can from abusing it… as I said it earlier… this is why I am literally only using it on exceptional cases when I am having a day where the pain is so so bad that I can’t normally live and is turning me into a different person. And even on those days, I am still trying to get the minimum dose.

And so, now, to make it kind of like a conclusion I must tell you that my final answer to your question is: I do not ‘want’ to take it. Trust me, if I would be able and it would be possible for me at all, I wouldn’t be taking it at all. However I do need it and I need it for properly living, doing my job etc. etc. I do live in pains, but I take it because there are some days when I do want to get some respite from the pains that I get. Maybe this would explain it better for you.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #2951 by CcCheryl
I guess I did have understood why OP was taking codeine for sore throat but as it was said above by the previous poster here, I do also think that OP made a mistake by taking codeine for sore throat. I am not sure but I think that OP was taking codeine because it is found in sore throat medicines… please confirm if that’s true or not. But I am pretty sure that this is the reason, however I must say that I really do think codeine that it is in cough, cold and sore throat medicine it is not there for its pain killing abilities, or at least not that much, however it is there because from as much as I have read about codeine – it is an amazing cough suppressant. If you were having sore throat then codeine in those medications were only suppressing your cough, but it is obvious that it was not killing the pain. Maybe it did a little bit and that’s why you’ve got relief from the pain 30% only.

Another thing that I can guess here, however I am not that sure, is that I do think the doses are quite low in those stuff… and they are really low (I think) compared to the doses given for the severe pains… but I am not 100% certain about this. I guess you should do a bit more research on this on your own and maybe you’re gonna understand it better.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #2952 by Jennifer
What I do know for sure is that codeine it is a lot much more better than for example 3 Aleve… what I am trying to say is that even if the relief it is only in your head, it is still a lot much more better than aspirin, Aleve and so on and so forth. Maybe the pains are still there, but I think that it doesn’t really matter as long as you do not feel it and as long as you can normally function and do the job. I don’t think that the rest is so important.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #2953 by BoweSer
Oh wow… I am not a big expert here but it does sounds to me like you are just having a different reaction than most other people. From as much as I know, codeine is making you feel a bit euphoric. At least that’s what it is written online about it and plus to that, this is the effect that I am getting from using it as well.. for me, it makes me feel a little bit ‘euphoric’ (that’s the effect I feel) after I am taking it, and then usually it is wearing off quite quickly. I have not tried to take a bigger dose to see if the effect would be more intense or if it would last longer and I don’t ever intend to do so. But the dose that I take makes me feel a bit euphoric and it then, as I said, goes away quickly, which is then being followed by the drowsiness (which isn’t anything bad or something in this matter) and also sometimes a little bit of an upset stomach too.

What’s really strange for me is that tramadol also makes you feel euphoric. That’s super strange for me. I used to think that only codeine makes you feel that way. morphine, of course, and stuff like that. But never thought that tramadol has been abused by some people for that same euphoria feeling and that’s until I have seen this forum site. Generally I have found a lot of very useful information here. Anyway, I never thought about tramadol because as I said, I did have felt euphoria from codeine, but I never felt it from tramadol (yeah, I did used both medications) and that is why I can guess that I have had pretty much the same reaction that you did for a different drug, LOL. This shows again how, in fact, we’re all different.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds