high bp may lead to arrhythmia

linda2

so, my husband had a heart problem and went to ER. he stayed overnight because it was an Afib. The doctor ran tests and told him that it was provoked by sleep apnea and hypertension. He was around 32. he also was dealing with daily caregiving for a dying parent at that time.
Thereafter 6 months later his heart still did not "feel" good. so they put him on a monitor and did not get back to him about it. after a few months he went to the family doctor for his hypertension and his bp was high and the physician said that bp medicine was not working and started reading the results of all his tests.
well, he also had arrhythmia found with the monitor. so they did not explain that to him that bp medicine they had him was doing more settle down that issue.
the doc added the second bp drug and explained that he should use both medicines.

afterward, he changed his diet such as stopping drinking soda. 1 or 2 cups of black coffee or creamer only and the rest was water. He lost a bunch of weight. He cut back on the sugar he was eating as well.
he just told me that he has felt fine for the last 3 months and he does not use bp medicines at all so he decided to check his bp. I don't remember his exact reading but he was well within normal blood pressure now. after that he did a five minute constant scan to see the averages and they were normal, which was 1 point over 140 instead of 139.

now he is refusing to use his medicine but I say he needs to go to the doctor and explain what's up because he still has arrhythmia. anyway, he says no because he is fine. Who is right in this case?
Could the diet have really changed his blood pressure?

Sophia

so, my husband had a heart problem and went to ER. he stayed overnight because it was an Afib. The doctor ran tests and told him that it was provoked by sleep apnea and hypertension. He was around 32. he also was dealing with daily caregiving for a dying parent at that time.
Thereafter 6 months later his heart still did not "feel" good. so they put him on a monitor and did not get back to him about it. after a few months he went to the family doctor for his hypertension and his bp was high and the physician said that bp medicine was not working and started reading the results of all his tests.
well, he also had arrhythmia found with the monitor. so they did not explain that to him that bp medicine they had him was doing more settle down that issue.
the doc added the second bp drug and explained that he should use both medicines.

afterward, he changed his diet such as stopping drinking soda. 1 or 2 cups of black coffee or creamer only and the rest was water. He lost a bunch of weight. He cut back on the sugar he was eating as well.
he just told me that he has felt fine for the last 3 months and he does not use bp medicines at all so he decided to check his bp. I don't remember his exact reading but he was well within normal blood pressure now. after that he did a five minute constant scan to see the averages and they were normal, which was 1 point over 140 instead of 139.

now he is refusing to use his medicine but I say he needs to go to the doctor and explain what's up because he still has arrhythmia. anyway, he says no because he is fine. Who is right in this case?
Hi Linda2, sure, diet may help improve and decrease hypertension symptoms. However, I think you should discuss this with your healthcare provider before stopping any medicine.
A healthy lifestyle may also help you to get rid of many health issues.

Emma9

I think your spouse shouldn't stop using BP medicines unless the doctor directs him to do that. One factor that irregular blood pressure may return is stopping the treatment without a doctor's recommendation. But, if you are not using BP medicines, better to consult a doctor before starting another treatment. Otherwise, it may lead to unpleasant results including severe adverse reactions.

kevin421

Hi linda2, I read a lot of information about erectile dysfunction (ED), which is closely linked with blood pressure.

The numbers that you have mentioned 140 vs 139 I think is the systolic (top) number and you didn't mention the diastolic (bottom) number, which is the same important as the first. However, if systolic blood pressure of 139-140 is considered high. I think you should tell your spouse to consult a physician. Dietary changes and weight are influencing your blood pressure, either better or worse, and trying to lose weight may positively affect decreasing BP.

That's why hypertension is called the silent killer because it usually has no symptoms until it is too late. However, I think it is a serious health problem that should be managed through a healthy diet, regular exercise, and appointment to a healthcare provider.

More concerning information is the A-Fib you mentioned. This condition may cause stroke and other health problems and it should not be ignored. Moreover, long-term hypertension may cause kidney damage, myocardial infarctions, and other serious medical conditions.

I write this information not to frighten you, but you should check his pressure twice weekly long term or even more frequently due to starting or stopping the use of BP medicines and you cannot get an understanding of what is or not working.

Moreover, when checking his BP, it is advised to check on a scheduled basis (2-3 times per week) for 30 days. Thereafter, you can see his average BP, which is a useful number. Anyway, do not let him ignore this problem, he might need a doctor's consultation for both these potential problems A-Fib and HBP.

linda2

thanks everyone for the feedback it really helps

now I cant remember the second number but I will ask him today though. his Afib was stopped by the hospital. however he is still got a few risk factors such as sleep apnea and he is not prone to not weak his mask if he is sick. I also concern about not taking his meds he sets him to go back into it. doctors found the high bp due to episode of Afib and apparently is a slight arrhythmia and just did not explain to him.

his bp was so high when this happened roughly 4-5 years ago and it took two different meds to get the situation under control and they have not changed them. he just decided that his readings are good enough. Im concerned due to his stupid stuff such as not pick meds up for three months or when refills run out just letting them expire because he does not want to see a doctor.